Learn how a celery stalk can drink water! This fun experiment can be performed by even the smallest of scientists!
You will need:
- 1 stalk of celery with the leaves still on
- Red and blue food coloring
- 2 tall clear drinking glasses that are the same size
- Knife and a grownup to use it
What you need to do:
- Fill both glasses half full of water.
- Put 5-7 drops of red food coloring in one glass and 5-7 drops of blue in the other.
- Grownups- cut the celery stalk in half lengthwise almost to the leaves. Stalk should still be connected at the top. Also trim the bottom (non-leafy part) of the celery stalk.
- Place the glasses side by side.
- Put one 'leg' of the stalk in the red water, and the other 'leg' in the blue water.
- Let the celery sit in the glasses overnight.
- In the morning talk to your child about what you see and capillary action (phenomenon when a liquid rises)!