Either you love them or your hate them, but the colorful, sugary bunnies and chicks are back! And if you watch TikTok at all, you may have seen the new "baking trend" ~ puffed rice treats made with PEEPs!
So, naturally, I had to try it out for you and here's the hard truth: THEY'RE AMAZING! And oh-so-simple to make.
Here's what you need:
- 16-24 Peeps of different colors. It doesn't matter if you use bunnies or chicks - just make sure you get different colors.
- 4-5 cups of puffed rice cereal
- 8 tbl spoons of butter, cut into thin pats
- Non-stick spray
- 8x10 baking dish (I used foil because I'm lazy)
Here's what you do:
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spray the baking dish with non-stick spray
- Lay out the Peeps in rows, alternating colors or shapes
- Pour puffed rice cereal over the peeps
- Add butter throughout
- Place in oven for 8-10 minutes and let the Peeps puff up and the butter melt
- Take from oven, stir in the baking dish and then pat firmly down (I used parchment paper and a book)
- Let cool and enjoy!
Things to note:
- Do not add more Peeps to the top like we did, unless you like your treats softer - the riced cereal did not get as Krispy as I usually like it to
- You can add jellybeans or other Easter candy when you stir to make them even more festive
- I've seen people melt the Peeps first in a pot, but that didn't look as easy and I was going for ease!