Did you know that popcorn can expand to 3x its original size when heated? It's TRUE! Popcorn, one of America's favorite "grains" has been around for thousands of years, and was a popular snack for ancient civilizations such as the Aztecs. It also happens to be the state snack of Illinois and a favorite in this house for sure.
And, because it's typically a "healthier" alternative to many other grain-filled snacks, you should go all-out to celebrate this tasty treat on National Popcorn Day, January 19th. If you are looking for some creative ways to have some home-based fun, you may want to consider any of these five ideas for celebrating National Popcorn Day:
- Have a popcorn party: Invite friends and family over for a popcorn-themed party. You can serve a variety of flavored popcorn, such as caramel, cheese, or chocolate, and have a movie marathon or play popcorn-themed games.
- Make your own popcorn: Try making your own popcorn at home using a stovetop pot or an air popper. You can experiment with different seasonings and flavors to create your own unique blends.
- Take a trip to a gourmet popcorn shop ~ we have a few spots around the CLT area that you might want to consider:
- Host a popcorn-making contest: Challenge friends and family to come up with their own unique popcorn flavors. Have a tasting party and vote on the best flavors.
- Put together a popcorn-themed gift basket (popcorn seasoning, popcorn poppers, and movie theater-style candy) and give it as a gift to a popcorn lover in your life.
We love popping it on our stove and adding in cookie bits and chocolate candies! Do you have a favorite?